7/16/10

How to Prevent Complete Meltdown



Every once in a while something tragic or frightening will happen out of nowhere, and you're blindsided. You encounter a situation completely out of your hands that you have to endure, something you simply cannot extricate yourself from.

Be gentle with yourself. Give yourself time to deal with what is happening or has happened. All you can do is your best. Drink some tea and breathe deeply. Worrying doesn't add a day to your life, but I can give testimony to the fact that it robs you of time better spent doing other things - because anything is better than the rotten-gut, hyper heartbeat, frightened feeling of fretting.

Come to terms with the fact that not everything is in your control. No matter how much you love them, people will get sick, people will let you down, or will outright stab you in the back. Now is the time to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and take care of yourself - so that you can take care of what needs to be done. 

Often, there isn't time for an emotional break down, the release of the pent up energy and heartache in all of the goings on and practical things you've got to do. This doesn't mean that losing your mind for a little while is something you shouldn't do. It's so important to have a personal fit about how unfair the universe is. Make time for it. Schedule a time where you can feel the pain you're carrying around with you to its fullest, it's only then that you can get rid of it. Embrace your personal rage, and then kick it to the curb. Don't let your horrible feelings overstay their welcome. It puts a bitter filter on your experiences and colours the way you see everything. 

I'm definitely guilty of this. For as long as I can remember, I've been a worrier. When I was a little girl, all my nerves and worries kept me up at night until I could talk about them. (Things might just seem so much bigger in the dark, to me.) I worry constantly about things I have absolutely no control over, and then when, inevitably, something goes wrong, or something goes horribly wrong, my brain grinds to a screeching halt and I wig out. From then on, I'm always on the look-out, watchful, and seeing the negative before the positive in almost everything.

While I'm trying to remove the things that I don't have to "suffer through", life has its trials and some are inevitable. Gather your courage from wherever you find it, because it's something you must do. There is no giving up, there is no wallowing in your pain. You are stronger, and braver than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment